Jun 24, 2024  
Graduate Catalog 2023-2024 
Graduate Catalog 2023-2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services and Campus Policies

Campus Security

The Office of Campus Security (OCS) is located on the ground floor of the Gabhart Student Center. This office is staffed twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. In compliance with the Tennessee “College and University Security Information Act” and the federal “Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act,” Security maintains a log of any crime on campus available upon request during business hours. Crime statistics and information on security programs and policies are available in the Annual Security Report available online at https://www.belmont.edu/ocs/annual-security-fire-safety.html. Timely Warnings are distributed to the campus community when crimes occur on campus or on the public streets and walkways immediately adjacent to or running through campus so the campus community informed and can take appropriate precautions to stay safe.

Automobile Assistance: Security provides services for automobiles, such as unlocking doors and jump-starting dead batteries.

Automobile Privileges: Belmont sits in the heart of Nashville and is a convenient walking or biking distance from numerous shops, restaurants, and other amenities. While some students may opt to bring a car to campus, it can be expensive, with many downtown lots charging $15 or more an hour, and it can be a distraction to both academics and building relationships with classmates. While there is no charge for parking on campus, all vehicles operating on campus must be registered and renewed every academic school year. Residential students must park in their designated zone during the hours of 8am-4:30pm Monday through Friday. 

If you bring a vehicle to campus, you are responsible for observing all parking rules and regulations as well as all federal, state, and local laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle. Belmont University reserves the right to regulate the use of motor vehicles on campus and may prohibit the use of motor vehicles by persons who violate university regulations. Belmont University assumes no financial responsibility for theft or damage to motor vehicles or contents for vehicles parked or operated on campus.

Emergency Services: Security officers serve as first responders for police, fire, medical, and mental health emergencies on campus and coordinate the response from local police, fire, and EMS services. For on-campus emergencies, call 615-460-6911; for non-emergency assistance, call 615-460-6617.

Programming - Service and Engagement are two of Campus Security’s priorities. As part of the commitment to the security of our campus community, a number of programs on personal safety, including security awareness, basic self-defense, and bystander intervention are available. A complete listing of programs and how to request them is available at  https://www.belmont.edu/ocs/crime_prevention_education_and_awareness/index.html

Handicapped Parking: Vehicles parked in disability spaces must properly display a state-issued placard or license plate as well as a Belmont parking permit or visitor parking placard. Temporary accommodations may be made for persons who do not qualify for state-issued handicap placards but who may need a temporary accommodation due to a mobility impairment such as being on crutches. For full infomration on ADA parking on campus, please visit https://www.belmont.edu/ocs/parking/parking_regulations.html

Identification Cards: Security generates the university ID cards and keeps an electronic file of these cards in its database. Cards are usually made during registration times and as needed.

Parking Violations/Fines: Failure to comply with parking regulations may result in a fine, having the vehicle towed from campus at the owner’s expense, an immobilizing boot attached to the wheel of your vehicle, or the loss of campus parking privileges. Parking ticket fines are increased for multiple violations, with violation doubling for each offense up to $300.00 per violation. Fines must be paid before grades and transcripts will be released.

Violation Fine  
Improper parking $50.00 to $300.00
No parking permit $50.00 to $300.00
Parking in “No Parking” area $50.00 to $300.00
Parking by non-handicapped person in space reserved for the handicapped $100.00 to $300.00
Parking in a restricted area $50.00 to $300.00

Vehicles Subject to Towing: Vehicles may be immobilized or towed from campus property for serious or repeat violations.

Security Escort Services: Security provides escorts for anyone on campus at any time the individual wishes an escort from one location on campus to another.

Belmont University Bookstore

The university bookstore is located in the lower level of the Gabhart Student Center. Available for purchase are required textbooks (new and used), school supplies, Belmont logo clothing and gift items, greeting cards, and other related campus items. Belmont students may charge their textbooks, school supplies and other required items on their student account (with a Belmont ID), and be billed through their university account. Purchases may also be made by personal check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Anerican Express, or cash. Checks may be cashed for up to $20.00 with a Belmont ID.

Visit the bookstore’s web page to check for special store hours, store policies, announcements, Belmont logo merchandise, and the list of textbooks required for Belmont classes. Also available is an opportunity to purchase textbooks on-line, prepaying with a credit card or charging on the student’s Belmont account. Find us at Belmont University’s official web address: www.belmont.edu

Career Development

Belmont University Career Development provides a wide range of services and resources to assist students and graduates with every stage of the career planning process. Our experienced career professionals seek to empower students and graduates to identify and pursue their passions and meet the needs of the world. Career Development provides resume and cover letter review, internship and job search strategy, interview training, and career development programs and events. For more information, visit Career Development at www.belmont.edu/careerdevelopment , call 615.460.6490, or email careerdevelopment@belmont.edu. Anyone who has completed or is completing a degree at Belmont University is eligible to use the Office of Career & Professional Development.

Counseling Services

Belmont University Counseling Services (BUCS) provides free and confidential mental health services for all BU students. Along with short-term individual counseling, we offer groups, resource and referral services, and crisis care. All clinicians are licensed in the state of Tennessee and adhere to applicable state and federal laws pertaining to clinical services. We are here to help when life gets complicated!

For more information, please visit our website: https://www.belmont.edu/counseling/index.html

Communicable Disease/Virus Policy

In general, Belmont University is committed to a non-discriminatory policy with respect to persons having been diagnosed with a communicable disease/virus or other handicap. Any restrictions that may be imposed are determined in light of the most current medical knowledge and are in accordance with applicable state and federal laws. A strict code of confidentiality is maintained in all cases.

Judicial Service

The Belmont University mission states that we enable “men and women of diverse backgrounds to engage and transform the world with disciplined intelligence, compassion, courage, and faith.” In order to prepare students for this mission, the university upholds high ideals and expectations for each member of the campus community. These ideals are expressed in the university’s Statement of Commitments and various institutional policies. Belmont University’s disciplinary process is designed to be a part of the educational mission of the University, one that focuses on upholding these commitments inherent in the Belmont community, teaching all members of the university community the commitments of appropriate behavior within a community.

Belmont’s disciplinary process provides an outline in which members of the Belmont community may resolve violations of commitments and policies with mutual respect for one another while fostering relationships. These relationships help to create an environment of accountability holding members of the community responsible for their actions with the ultimate goal of encouraging and fostering the personal growth and development of each student. Throughout the process, students are the priority.

For information regarding policies, procedures, and assistance, students may contact the Coordinator of Judicial Services in the Office of the Dean of Students or access The Bruin Guide online at www.belmont.edu/studentaffairs/bruinguide/index.html.

Substance-Free Campus Policy

Belmont University is committed to self-control and respect for self and others, which enable all individuals to develop intellectually, spiritually, socially, emotionally, and physically. Therefore, the university is committed to an environment free of the possession or use of alcohol and illegal drugs. It shall be a violation of the Community Commitments and the Substance-Free Campus Policy to drink, possess, distribute or be impaired as a result of drinking alcoholic beverages and on campus or at any university sponsored activity on or off campus. The university makes no special provision for used or unused alcohol or drug paraphernalia and containers. These items are prohibited as well. Additionally, it shall be a violation to be in the presence of an incident where violations of the university’s Substance-Free Campus Polices have occurred regardless of a student’s level of participation (referred to as complicity.) Also, any involvement in illegal activities on or off campus, including the use, possession, distribution or impairment as a result of illegal drugs shall result in the imposition of one or more of the disciplinary actions set forth elsewhere in The Bruin Guide. Violations of these standards of conduct may result in university disciplinary action and/or severe criminal penalties under local, state, and federal law.

The Substance-Free Campus Policy is fully outlined in The Bruin Guide available online at www.belmont.edu/studentaffairs/bruinguide/index.html.

Family and Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974; it is the federal law that requires colleges and universities to maintain the privacy of students’ education records. FERPA guarantees students the right of access to the education records, the right to consent prior to the release of a record to a third party, the right to challenge information contained in their records, and the right to be notified of their privacy rights. This means that students must consent before a record is disclosed to the parents or legal guardians, unless they are a dependent of his/her parents for income tax purposes, prior consent to disclosure to parents or guardians is not required. This states that ‘personal information shall only be transferred to a third party on the condition that such party will not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student.’

Confidential information is not to be released. Confidential information consists of any academic information (grades, transcripts), current class schedules, disciplinary records, etc. We can verify directory information over the phone as long as the student has not asked that directory information be kept confidential. Directory information includes but is not limited to name, address, phone, dates of attendance, major and minor, degrees and awards received.

 The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the university receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31): School officials with legitimate educational interest; Other schools to which a student is transferring; Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes; Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student; Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school; Accrediting organizations; To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW.
Washington, DC, 20202-4605

In addition, the university has the right to disclose the following information about its students to third parties without the student’s consent. This information includes: name, address, date and place of birth, major, participation in officially recognized activities/sports, weight/height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent educational agency or institution attended, photographs and parents’ names and addresses. However, FERPA also grants you the right to refuse to permit Belmont to disclose this information to others without your consent.

If you wish to instruct the university not to disclose directory information about you, please contact the Office of the Registrar at 460-6619.

Food Service

Commuter students may pay-as-you-go at the Dining Hall, the Curb Cafe, or the Corner Court; or they may purchase a commuter meal ticket redeemable for any twelve meals in the Dining Hall.

Harassment Policy

Belmont University is committed to providing an environment in which all persons are safe from harassment and intimidation based on their race, color, gender, national origin, age or disability. Harassment can include, but is not limited to, physical conduct or verbal innuendo that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual because of his/her, race color, gender, national origin, age or disability, or that of his/her relatives, friends or associates and that: (i) has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment; (ii) has the purpose or effect of unreasonable interfering with an individual’s academic or job performance; or (iii) otherwise adversely affects an individual’s educational or employment opportunities. Such harassment is contrary to the Christian standards of conduct expected of all members of the university community. 

Any student who believes he or she has been treated unfairly by a member of the Belmont community is encouraged to file a complaint/grievance. Information about filing a complaint or grievance is available in the Bruin Guide available online at www.belmont.edu/studentaffairs/bruinguide/index.html or a student may contact the Office of the Dean of Students and Campus Life.

Health Insurance 

All students are required to have health insurance that covers healthcare services in Tennessee in the event of accident or illness. Graduate students must provide proof of health insurance coverage to opt out of the graduate Student Health Insurance Plan.

As a service to students, information concerning Undergraduate health insurance is available in the Office of Student Formation and in University Health Services; however, the university does not endorse any policy, nor does the university recommend an insurance policy in which a student should enroll. Neither does the university act as an agent for any insurance company. 

Belmont University assumes no responsibility for the payment of health care expenses incurred by a student beyond the established services offered through the University Health Services. Belmont University assumes no responsibility in the resolution of claims submitted by the student to the insurance company. 

Health Records 

All students are required to submit fully completed health records and imunizations. Completion of Health Requirements are a prerequisite for seeking health care through University Health Services. All Health Requirements are completed through the student’s Health Portal which can be accessed through MyBelmont. More informaton on Health Requirements can be found at University Health Services.

Health Services 

All currently enrolled students are eligible for services at the Health Services clinic. Health Services clinic provides treatment for acute illnesses and injuries, as well as immunizations and laboratory services. Office visits are covered under the student fee, however out-of-pocket fees may be charged for some immunizations, tests and supplies. For specialized or chronic conditions, Health Services staff can assist with referrals to appropriate resources in the Nashville community. All medical expenses incurred off campus are the responsibility of students.

Residence Life

The Office of Residence Life coordinates all campus living arrangements - apartments, residence halls, and special emphasis houses. The office is located on the second floor of the Gabhart Student Center.

Smoking Policy

Belmont has a policy of no smoking on campus.

Office of Accessibility Services

In compliance with the Americans with Disability Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Belmont University will make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Students with needs for academic or other accommodations should contact the Office of Accessibility Services as soon as possible. Please go to our website for more information and submit an accommodation request application. More information can be found at www.belmont.edu/accessibility.

University Ministries

University Ministries provides a variety of programs and resources to assist students of all denominations to learn more about their faith, to grow spiritually, and to participate actively in campus and community events. In addition, information on local churches is available.