Jun 22, 2018
The Piano Pedagogy Major prepares students for teaching in the private studio. Emphasis is placed on instructional techniques applicable to teaching students at all levels. This degree is appropriate preparation for private studio teaching and for graduate study in piano pedagogy.
BELL Core Requirements: 38 Hours (minimum)
Common Music Core: 30-33 Hours
I All classical majors take MUT 2340 and commercial majors and Music Therapy majors take MUT 2350 .
II Commercial Music majors, Music Therapy majors, and Musical Theatre majors do not have this requirement.
III All students seeking the Bachelor of Music degree must participate in at least one ensemble each semester enrolled as a full-time student and earn a minimum of eight (8) hours credit except Music Education majors and Music Therapy majors who earn a minimum of seven (7) hours credit and Musical Theatre (BFA) majors who earn a minimum of ten (10) hours credit. This number of credits only may count toward degree requirements. See specific Ensemble Requirements for each principal area.
Specific Music Core: 3 Hours
Major Area: 42 Hours
- MAB 1210, 1220, 2210, 2220, 3210, 3220, 4210, 4220, Private Piano (8 Semesters Required) (1) 16 Hours
- MUG 2010 Piano Proficiency Examination 0 Hours
- MUG 2020 Sophomore Technical 0 Hours
- MAB 3000 25-minute recital 0 Hours
- MA__ 1110, 1120, 2110, 2120, Applied Secondary 4 Hours
- MUP 3450 Piano Pedagogy and Literature for Beginners 3 Hours
- MUP 3460 Piano Pedagogy and Literature for Intermediates 3 Hours
- MUP 3490 Accompanying 2 Hours
- MUP 4450 Supervised Piano Teaching 2 Hours (2 Semesters)
- MUP 4470 Group Piano Pedagogy 2 Hours
- MUE 4250 Psychology of Music 3 Hours
- MUK 1110 Introduction to Digital Musicianship 1 Hours
- M__, Music Electives 2 Hours
General Electives: 16 Hours (minimum)
(with 38-hour BELL Core)
Total Required for the Program: 132 Hours
1 No more than 16 hours of piano may be counted toward degree requirements.
2 Students in this major take 4 semesters in secondary area of choice.