Oct 22, 2018
The Performance Major is planned for students who exhibit exceptional potential as performers in their principal applied area. The program provides training for those desiring careers as professional performers and/or studio teachers. It is the best preparation for graduate study with emphasis in performance.
The table below lists required coursework for students in this major whose applied area is piano, organ, guitar or an instrument.
BELL Core Requirements: 38 Hours (minimum)
Common Music Core: 30-33 Hours
I All classical majors take MUT 2340 and commercial majors and Music Therapy majors take MUT 2350 .
II Commercial Music majors, Music Therapy majors, and Musical Theatre majors do not have this requirement.
III All students seeking the Bachelor of Music degree must participate in at least one ensemble each semester enrolled as a full-time student and earn a minimum of eight (8) hours credit except Music Education majors and Music Therapy majors who earn a minimum of seven (7) hours credit and Musical Theatre (BFA) majors who earn a minimum of ten (10) hours credit. This number of credits only may count toward degree requirements. See specific Ensemble Requirements for each principal area.
Specific Music Core: 4 Hours
Major Area: 39 Hours
- MA_ 1310, 1320; 2310, 2320; 3410, 3420, 4410, 4420, Applied Principal (8 Semesters Required) 24-28 Hours (1) (2) (4)
Support Courses: 3-7 Hours
- MAC 2050 Organ Literature I 1 Hours
- MAC 2060 Organ Literature II 1 Hours
- MAC 3050 Service Playing 1 Hours
Additional Required Coursework
- MA_ 3070 Seminar (required each semester enrolled in Applied Principal, minimum of 8 semesters) 0 Hours
- MUG 2020 Sophomore Technical 0 Hours
- MA_ 3000 25-minute recital 0 Hours
- MA_ 4000 50-minute recital 0 Hours
- MA__ 1110, 1120, 2110, 2120, Applied Secondary 4 Hours (not required for Keyboard Principals)
- MUG 2010 Piano Proficiency Examination 0 Hours
Choose one of the following:
General Electives: 16 Hours (minimum)
(with 38-hour BELL Core)
Total Required for the Program: 132 Hours
1 No more than 28 hours in the Applied Principal area may be counted toward degree requirements.
2 For string principals, the addition of 4 semesters of MFG 4950 or 4940 reduces MAG 3410, 3420, 4410, 4420 to MAG 3310, 3320, 4310, 4320.
3 Secondary applied study must be continued each semester until proficiency is passed. Piano is the required secondary for all principals except keyboard. For keyboard principals, secondary area must be four semesters of classical study in the same instrument or voice. Keyboard principals take 4 semesters in secondary area of choice.
4 For Brass Principles, the addition of 4 semesters of MFI 3110 Chamber Ensemble-Brass reduces MAE 3410, 3420, 4410, 4420 to MAE 3310, 3320, 4310, 4320.