Nov 15, 2018
The Composition Major builds on a strong foundation of music theory and gives extensive training in the creation of music in a wide variety of styles. This major is designed for students who wish to pursue graduate study in composition with the ultimate aim of university teaching and/or professional composition.
BELL Core Requirements: 38 Hours (minimum)
Common Music Core: 30-33 Hours
I All classical majors take MUT 2340 and commercial majors and Music Therapy majors take MUT 2350 .
II Commercial Music majors, Music Therapy majors, and Musical Theatre majors do not have this requirement.
III All students seeking the Bachelor of Music degree must participate in at least one ensemble each semester enrolled as a full-time student and earn a minimum of eight (8) hours credit except Music Education majors and Music Therapy majors who earn a minimum of seven (7) hours credit and Musical Theatre (BFA) majors who earn a minimum of ten (10) hours credit. This number of credits only may count toward degree requirements. See specific Ensemble Requirements for each principal area.
Specific Music Core: 4 Hours
Major Area: 45 Hours
- MA_ 1210,1220, 2210, 2220, 3210, 3220, 4110, 4120 (1) Applied Principal (8 Semesters Required) 14 Hours
- MAC 2050 Organ Literature I 1Hours
- MAC 2060 Organ Literature II 1 Hours
- MAC 3050 Service Playing 1 Hours
Additional Required Coursework
- MA_ 3070, Seminar (Required every semester enrolled in Applied Principal, minimum of 8 semesters) 0 Hours
- MUG 2010 Piano Proficiency Examination 0 Hours
- MUG 2020 Sophomore Technical 0 Hours
- MA__ 1110,1120, 2110, 2120, Applied Secondary (2)(3) (Not required for Keyboard principals. If piano is not the principal, a total of 7 semesters of piano is required.) 4 Hours
- MAK 1110,1120, 2110, Private Composition 3 Hours
- MAK 2220, 3210, 3220, 4210, Private Composition 8 Hours
- MAK 3070 Composition Seminar 0 Hours
- MUT 4360 Counterpoint 3 Hours
- MUT 4380 Topics in Advanced Analysis 3 Hours
- MUT 3320 Orchestration and Instrumentation 3 Hours
- MUC 2180 Computer Assisted Music Notation 3 Hours
- MUC 2210 Music Technology I 3 Hours
General Electives: 12 Hours
(with 38-hour BELL Education Core)
Electives are reduced to 9 hours for non-keyboard principals.
Total Required for the Program: 132 Hours
1 No more than 14 hours of Applied Principal will count toward degree requirements.
2 Secondary applied study must be continued each semester until proficiency is passed.
3 Electives are reduced to 4 hours for non-keyboard principals.