Oct 20, 2018
The Theory Major provides a strong foundation in the analysis and composition of a wide variety of styles of music. This major is excellent preparation for graduate study in theory with the eventual goal of university teaching.
General Education Core Requirements: 43-44 Hours
Common Music Core: 30-33 Hours
I All classical majors take MUT 2340 and commercial majors and Music Therapy majors take MUT 2350 .
II Commercial Music majors, Music Therapy majors, and Musical Theatre majors do not have this requirement.
III All students seeking the Bachelor of Music degree must participate in at least one ensemble each semester enrolled as a full-time student and earn a minimum of eight (8) hours credit except Music Education majors and Music Therapy majors who earn a minimum of seven (7) hours credit and Musical Theatre (BFA) majors who earn a minimum of ten (10) hours credit. This number of credits only may count toward degree requirements. See specific Ensemble Requirements for each principal area.
Specific Music Core: 4 Hours
Major Area: 43 Hours
- MA_ 1210, 1220, 2210, 2220, 3210, 3220, 4110, 4120, Applied Principal (8 Semesters Required) (1) 14 Hours
Additional Required Coursework:
- MA_ 3070, Seminar (Required every semester enrolled in Applied Principal, minimum of 8 semesters) 0 Hours
- MUG 2010 Piano Proficiency Examination 0 Hours
- MUG 2020 Sophomore Technical 0 Hours
- MA_ 3000 25-minute recital 0 Hours
- M__ 1110,1120, 2110, 2120, Applied Secondary (if piano is not principal, a total of 7 semesters of piano is required) (2) (3)
- MUT 3320 Orchestration and Instrumentation 3 Hours
- MUT 4360 Counterpoint 3 Hours
- MUT 4380 Topics in Advanced Analysis 2 Hours
- MUE 4250 Psychology of Music 3 Hours
- MUAK 1110,1120, 2110, 2120, Private Composition (4 Semesters Required) 4 Hours
- MUT 4490 Senior Theory Project 3 Hours
- MUC 2180 Computer Assisted Music Notation 3 Hours
Free Electives: 9 Hours
(with 43-hour General Education Core) (3)
Total Required for the Program: 132 Hours
1 No more than 14 hours of Applied Principal may be counted toward degree requirements.
2 Secondary applied study must be continued each semester until proficiency is passed. Piano is the required secondary for all principals except keyboard. Keyboard principals take 4 semesters in secondary are of choice.
3 Students in this major whose principal is not piano have only 6 hours of electives due to additional required hours of piano secondary.