2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog - Belmont University

Student Services

Belmont University Bookstore

The university bookstore is located in the lower level of the Gabhart Student Center. Available for purchase are required textbooks (new and used), school supplies, Belmont logo clothing and gift items, greeting cards, and other related campus items. Belmont students may charge their textbooks, school supplies and other required items on their student account (with a Belmont ID), and be billed through their university account. Purchases may also be made by personal check, MasterCard, Visa, Discover, Anerican Express, or cash. Checks may be cashed for up to $20.00 with a Belmont ID.

Visit the bookstore’s web page to check for special store hours, store policies, announcements, Belmont logo merchandise, and the list of textbooks required for Belmont classes. Also available is an opportunity to purchase textbooks on-line, prepaying with a credit card or charging on the student's Belmont account. Find us at Belmont University's official web address: www.belmont.edu

Career Services

Belmont University offers career services to serve the students and alumni of the university and to assist representatives of business, government, education and other various industries in finding qualified candidates for their organizations. The Office of Career Services and The College of Business Career Development Center provide career counseling and testing services, information about full-time, part-time and internship positions; assistance with resume writing and interviewing techniques. Career Services coordinates several annual job fairs to help students and alumni network with employers. Throughout the semester, the Office of Career Services and The College of Business Career Development Center plan numerous workshops to help students prepare for the workplace or graduate school. The Office of Career Services is located in the Gabhart Student Center, and The College of Business Career Development Center is located in the Jack C. Massey Business Center.

Counseling Services

Personal counseling services are available through the Office of the Dean of Students and may help with such issues as academics, interpersonal relationships, religious questions, sexuality, stress, time management, eating disorders, addictions, anxiety, and depression. Students are entitled to a limited number of counseling sessions with a licensed counselor at no cost.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 460-6407. A code of privacy is maintained in all counseling.

Health Insurance

All students are encouraged to carry health insurance in the event of accident or illness. All residence hall students and international students are required to show evidence of adequate health insurance.

As a service to students, information concerning health insurance is available in the Office of Student Affairs and in University Health Services; however, the university does not endorse any policy, nor does the university recommend an insurance policy in which a student should enroll. Neither does the university act as an agent for any insurance company.

Belmont University assumes no responsibility for the payment of health care expenses incurred by a student beyond the established services offered through the University Health Services. Belmont University assumes no responsibility in the resolution of claims submitted by the student to the insurance company.

Health Records

All students are required to submit fully completed health records. A completed health record on file is a prerequisite for seeking health care through University Health Services. The Health Record form will be mailed to students with receipt of acceptance to the university. Current students may obtain the Health Record Form in the University Health Services Center.

Health Services

Basic Health Services are available to students through the University Health Services Center. Students using Health Services should be prepared to provide health insurance information. Inquire at Health Services regarding fees (if any) which may be incurred. As a prerequisite for seeking health care from this center, a student must have on file a completed health record.

The University Health Service also maintains an active referral list for those students desiring health care off campus. All medical expenses incurred off campus are the responsibility of students.

Office of Communications

Belmont's Office of Communications exists to provide marketing as well as creative and production guidance and support to Belmont University Faculty & Staff in the following areas:

Public Relations
Campus and Community Communications
Copy Writing
Graphic Design
Copy Services

The Communication office is located in the Massey Business Center. The office entrance is located directly under the Gordon E. Inman Center walkover bridge.

Office of University Marketing and Special Initiatives

The office works on special projects and marketing for the university. The office is located in Freeman Hall.

University Copy Center

Belmont's Copy Center is available for all quick service copy needs. The facility, located on the northeast corner of the Massey Business Center, can assist you with your copying and printing needs. Hours of operation are 8:00 AM until 4:30 PM Monday thru Friday.

The Copy Center at Belmont provides:

Digital Copies (Color and Black/White)

Spiral, Heat, and Saddle-stitch Binding

Variety of paper colors and styles

Personal jobs are also accepted

Copies from electronic files submitted via e-mail at: copycenter@mail.belmont.edu

Cash or a personal check made payable to Belmont University is accepted for all non-Belmont work. Should you have questions or wish to discuss your print project please call 460-6630.


The Office Communications provides typesetting and design for campus publications. Issued regularly by the university are:

Circle, the news magazine for alumni, faculty, staff, trustees, and friends is published by the Office of Communications.

The Belmont Literary Journal is an annual journal of creative writing, art, and photography, published each year in April.

The Belmont University Graduate Bulletin, edited by the Provost with the assistance of the graduate curriculum and catalog committee, is issued annually. It contains information about Belmont entrance requirements, course descriptions, and the university in general.

The Belmont University Undergraduate Bulletin, edited by the Provost with the assistance of the curriculum and catalog committee, is issued annually. It contains information about Belmont entrance requirements, course descriptions, and university life in general.

The Belmont Vision, official student newspaper, is issued every month and frequently updated online during the academic year by a staff drawn from all areas of student life and interest. A journalism faculty member supervises the production.

The Bruin Guide, the official handbook of policies, regulations, services and activities pertaining to students, is issued at the beginning of each academic year, and is published by the Division of Student Affairs.

Residence Life

Any full-time student under the age of 21, not living with relatives over age 25 or with fewer than 60 credit hours, is required to live in a university residence.

Studies have shown that students who live on campus are less likely to withdraw, more likely to be satisfied with college experiences than commuters, and tend to have higher G.P.A.s.

In addition, the Residence Life Team is committed to the development of students by providing a positive living/learning environment, quality customer service, and support for diverse cultural and personal perspectives.

Belmont University offers the following residential facilities:

Hail Hall is a residence hall for women and men. The building consists of three floors with community-style bathrooms.

Heron Hall is a residence hall for women. Heron Hall has a suite arrangement with two rooms joined by a bathroom.

Kennedy Hall opened in Fall 2003. It offers separate facilities for women and men. Kennedy offers a suite arrangement with two rooms joined by a bathroom.

Maddox Hall is a residence hall for men. Maddox Hall has a suite arrangement with two rooms joined by a bathroom.

Maple Hall

Pembroke Hall is a residence hall for men. Pembroke Hall has community bathrooms on each floor.

Thrailkill Hall

Wright Hall is a residence hall for women. Wright Hall has community bathrooms on each floor.

For each of the above facilities a student provides his/her own sheets for 36 in. x 80 in.beds, pillows, pillowcases and blankets.

Belmont Commons is a townhouse complex which consists of 30 townhouses, each with four bedrooms and two and one-half baths for four residents. Each unit is fully furnished. All utilities are included except long distance. Belmont Commons has a clubhouse offering laundry facilities, a mailroom, and meeting rooms.

Bruin Hills was remodeled in 1996 and provides 115 two-bedroom apartments with one bath. The apartments are unfurnished except for one bed and one chest of drawers in each bedroom, a gas range, and a refrigerator/freezer unit. All utilities are included except long distance. Bruin Hills has a clubhouse offering laundry facilities, a mailroom, meeting rooms, and a recreation area.

The Hillside, with two phases completed in 1998 and 2002, provides 97 fully-furnished, two- and four-bedroom apartments. The Hillside has a clubhouse offering a mailroom, computer room, meeting room and recreation area.

The Special Emphasis Houses are several homes located next to the campus that serve as concentrated living and learning environments that center around a specific theme such as literature and language or a specific culture such as German. A Resident Assistant lives with the students in the home. Limited space is available for these facilities. There is a separate application process for admission in order to live in these houses.

Information regarding campus housing fees and deposits is found on the Student Financial Service home page off Belmont's main web page.

Once a student has contracted to live in a residential facility, he/she must notify the Office of Residence Life in order to withdraw from on-campus housing. Refer to Refund Schedule for information about refunds and cancellation fees.

Further information about campus housing may be obtained from the Office of Residence Life.

Student Responsibilities

While every student is assigned an academic advisor, each student is ultimately responsible for following: proper completion of his/her academic program, familiarity with all requirements of the university Bulletin under which he/she intends to graduate, maintaining the required grade average, meeting all degree requirements, attending commencement exercises at which the diploma will be received, knowing and observing all policies and regulations pertaining to campus life and student conduct, familiarity with information contained in the university publications, and maintaining communication with the university by keeping officials informed at all times of his/her current address, including zip code and telephone number.

As a community seeking to uphold Christian standards of morality and ethics, Belmont University holds high ideals and expectations of each student who chooses to join the community.

In upholding these ideals, Belmont proclaims the commitments of Individual Worth; Personal Integrity; Critical Thinking; Self-Control; and Community Responsibility.

The full "Community Commitments" is set forth in The Bruin Guide (student handbook), available online at www.belmont.edu/studentaffairs/bruinguide/index.html. Also included in The Bruin Guide are the full policy statements for such issues as academic honor and a Substance-Free Campus Policy.

Belmont University reserves the right to ask any student to withdrawal. A student will be subject to immediate involuntary administrative withdrawal from the university, or from university housing, if the student engages or threatens to engage in behavior that (a) poses a danger of causing imminent physical harm to the student or to others, (b) directly and substantially impedes the lawful activities of other members of the campus or (c) engages, or threatens to engage, in behavior which would cause property damage. A detailed statement of the "Involuntary Withdrawal Policy" and is outlined online in The Bruin Guide.

Regulations and general policies regarding student conduct and responsibilities are located in full in The Bruin Guide online. A community judicial system and designated administrative officers administer these regulations and policies.

Students with Disabilities

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Belmont University will make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. Students with needs for academic or other accomodations should contact the Office of the Dean of Students in the Beaman Student Life Center as soon as possible. For complete details, see the brochure, "Meeting the Needs of the Students with Disabilities," available in the Office of the Dean of Students.

Writing Center

The Department of English offers a writing center, which provides students with tutorial aid in writing essays, reports, and research papers. Students seeking help should call 460-6241 or visit WHB209 to make an appointment for a tutoring session.